MOVING TO HIGHER GROUND
Upon hearing that we had purchased over eleven acres up the road, the house mover, who remembered when St. John's church was moved to another location in 1997, remarked, "Can't you Lutherans decided where you want your church?"
Well, if we want to get "from here to there" how do we do it? Here are some suggested steps.
1. Close on purchase of the site. (This happened on April 15, 2004)
2. Get zoning approved. (This happened at the April Zoning Meeting. -- We were approved)
3. Gather the members at the site for a Rite of Dedication. (This happened on May 2, 2004)
4. A topographical survey of the site needs to be done. (This has been completed)
5. Solicit one-time special gifts to build up the General Fund -- we used money from there to pay for the land. (Letters were sent out to everyone on our mailing list -- and the responses are coming in.) If you would like to contribute to our future church home -- make contributions to:
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church
One-Time Special Gift
1019 E. Schapville Road
Elizabeth, IL 61028
6. Hold Visioning Session. (This was completed on Sunday, June 13 & Tuesday, June 15.) Gather members to ask: "What are the strengths of Shepherd of the Hills?" Do we want to move our church building? What strengths do we want to take with us to our new location? What do we need to carry out our current ministry? What needs of our wider community can we serve? What do you envision us doing in 5 years, 10 years from now? These visions should be prioritized. Because "form follows function" we will have a plan that can be "housed" by an architect who would develop a plot plan study. We would be able to see Stage One, Two, Three, etc of what we have envisioned.
How much of this will we be able to do?
7. A Capital Fund campaign would be conducted (Possibly this Fall) asking members to make commitments to a proposal presented to the congregation. Results of this appeal along with available financing would determine how much we could do.
8. Hold a congregational meeting to decide whether or not to move the church and what they would like (a basement or no basement, when to add the addition, what type of addition, and more items).
9. A contractor would be engaged. Church moving and whatever additional building had been decided would take place.
We have formed committees to handle the finances, building, and etc.
FINANCE COMMITTEE -- Terry Crandall, Keith Hesselbacher, LaVerne Grebner, Goldie Foley, & David Winter.
BUILDING COMMITTEE -- Larry Cording, Carl Anderson, Keith Hesselbacher, Carol or George Anderson, Bonnie Dal Ponte, Paul Velsor,Jim Stoewer, Penny Folks & Vickie Ehrler.
ANNUAL MEETING 2005 -- The congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church voted to proceed with beginning a capital funds appeal, hire an architect and get bids from a contractor by a vote of 76 -- yes and 10 -- no. A letter will be received by every member to put down their "Hoped for Gift" pledges. Before it goes any farther, a congregational meeting will be called to take another vote to proceed with the moving of the church and build the addition.
EASTER SUNDAY 2005 -- The congregation was informed that the "Hoped for Gifts" has met the challenged and is now standing at $145,000.00 that has been pledged.
APRIL 17, 2005 -- Hoped - for - Gift cards that have been received to this date now total $145,248.00. This does not include memorials and other special gifts received.
AUGUST 28 & 30, 2005 -- There were informational meetings held in the church basement to answer questions about what the Building Committee has come up with. This is an outline of estimated cost for the building project.
1. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorizes the church council and the building committee to hire Child's Movers to relocate the church, as soon as possible, to the new location. The cost of the mover is $28,000. This cost included in the total cost of the expansion project.
2. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorize the church council and the building committee to hire an architect & general contractor to proceed with the design, development and construction of the church expansion. The expansion will include an entryway and fellowship area which would contain a kitchen, pastor's office, office work room, handicap accessible bathrooms and Christian education area (approximately 4000 sq. feet). The total cost of the project shall not exceed $437,000. (Amount may be less depending on Mission Investment Funds (MIF) calculations of loan application.
3. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorizes the church council and the building committee to make a construction loan not to exceed $364,000, with the MIF of the ELCA at prevailing interest rates (currently 4.5%) on churches that relocate; construction loan at same site would be at 5.25%.
SEPTEMBER 11, 2005 -- Congregational Meeting was held after the 10 am
service (11am meeting). The resolutions that came out of the meeting was as followed:
SEPTEMBER 11, 2005 -- Congregational Meeting was held after the 10 am service (11am meeting). The resolutions that came out of the meeting was as followed:
1. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorize the church council and the building committee to hire an architect to proceed with the design and development of the church expansion and take bids for a general contractor. To draw up plans for both sites. The expansion will include an entryway and fellowship area which would contain a kitchen, pastor's office, office work room, handicap accessible bathrooms and Christian education area. The total cost of the entire project shall not exceed $437,000. (Amount may be less depending on Mission Investment Funds (MIF) calculations of loan application.
2. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorizes the church council and the building committee to make a construction loan not to exceed $364,000 with the MIF of the ELCA.
3. Be it resolved that the congregation of Shepherd of the Hills Evangelical Lutheran Church authorizes the church council and the building committee to hire Child's Movers to relocate the church to the new location. The cost of the mover is $28,000. This cost is above and beyond the total estimated cost of the expansion project by Maryville Construction.
The vote from the meeting was as followed:
Resolution 1 = This resolution passed.
Resolution 2 = This resolution passed.
Resolution 3 = This resolution did not pass.
There were 8 ballots that had no opinion.
For Resolution #3, the congregation can revote on this resolution after all the facts are in on the building cost at each location.
This concluded the meeting for September 11, 2005.
Building Committee Report, March, 2006
The Building Committee
met with Jim Baranski on
Tuesday, Feb 28 at
Informational Meeting # 1, to review the 3 possible building schemes.
This meeting will be in the church basement.
Tuesday, March 7 at
- Informational Meeting # 2 (same as meeting I)
to review the 3 possible building schemes. This meeting will also be in the
Sunday, March 12, at
worship service) –
a congregational meeting has been called to vote on:
your preference for scheme A, B or
your approval to proceed with the
expansion project and procure a loan from the Mission Investment Fund for the
building scheme which you choose.
**Please note that Jim
Baranski, the architect will be present at both informational meetings to answer
Sunday, March 12, 2006 -- Congregational Meeting
The congregation at the Zion Lutheran Church site (now called Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church) will celebrate in October of 2006 its 120th Anniversary. At the congregational meeting on Sunday, March 12, 2006, the congregation voted to move Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church to the new land site (just up the road) and build a new addition on the east side of the church and extend the entry. The last major construction project at Shepherd of the Hills was in 1945, when they remodeled the sanctuary, added stain glass window and added on the front of the entry to the church.
The congregation of Shepherd of the Hills also voted on taking out a loan from Apple River State Bank for 10 years.
Sunday -- May 28, 2006 -- Groundbreaking
Members of the Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church gathered together on the new site for a groundbreaking ceremony. A short service was celebrated at the site. Ten members of the congregation that represented different organizations, committees and groups took shovels and broke ground for the moving and addition to the existing church.
The middle of June, 2006 the existing church will be moved from the old site and placed on the new property and an addition will be added.
Sunday, June 4, 2006 will hold the last two services (8 am & 10 am) at the old site. Further services will be held at Scales Mound School in Scales Mound. We will still have 8 am & 10 am services during the summer.
Members of Shepherd of the Hills attending the groundbreaking.
^(left to right) Ruth Redfearn -- Ladies Aid & Quilters; LaVerne Grebner -- Men's Coffee & Bible Study; Nancy Sell -- WELCA; Liza Crandall -- Youth Group; Bonnie Dal Ponte -- Council President; Karlie White -- Bazaar Committee; Paul Velsor -- Building & Property Committees; Vicky Ehrler -- Sunday School instructor; Keith Hesselbacher -- Chairperson of Building Committee; Larry Cording -- Choir Director; and Pastor Barb Rapp.
Sunday -- June 4, 2006
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church (also known in the past as: St. Paul's Lutheran church and Zion Lutheran) has set on this ground for 120 years. On Sunday, June 4, 2006, the congregation held its last service on this ground and prayed that the church will have a safe move to its new home up the road. All members who attended each service posed for a picture in front of the church for one last time.
Those who attended the 8 am service. Those who attended the 10 am service.
RECOGNIZING FIVE LIFE LONG MEMBERS OF SOTH
Seven members of Shepherd of the Hills; who have given their time and talents as life long members for 80+ years .Those recognized on June 4, 2006 were: Lewis Friedrick Koester, Elizabeth Margaret Menzemer Siegel, Berneda Irene Koester Krug, Louis LaVerne Grebner, Laura Mabel Krug Grebner, Ruth Alma Dotzel Redfearn and Viola Hesselbacher Sigafus.
(not pictured) Lewis Koester and Elizabeth Siegel
Last Look at Shepherd of the Hills at its existing site.
June 4, 2006
In a couple of weeks there will be a new page (MOVING) with photos of the church's move.